Sport Concussion Program
Grand River Sports Medicine Centre (GRSM) is committed to providing an efficient and comprehensive assessment and treatment of sport concussions in the high standard of care that GRSM is renowned for.
Features of the GRSM Sport Concussion Program include:
- Individualized to the athlete, with the goal of returning to sport as safely and quickly as possible.
- By health care professionals with focused interest, training and experience in concussion management:
- Sports Medicine Physicians
- Athletic Therapist
- Sports Chiropractor
- With concussion-specific tools (baseline and post-injury testing):
- Medical concussion assessment by physician
- SCAT-3 symptoms assessment
- BESS balance/proprioceptive assessment
- ImPACT computerized neurocognitive testing
- With concussion-specific treatment and prevention strategies:
- Concussion education for athletes and parents
- Therapy to treat neck and musculoskeletal pain related to concussions
- Sub-system threshold cardiovascular training
- Neck, postural and core strengthening
- Balance, vestibular, and vision retraining
- Return-to-play programming and exercise progression
- Sport-specific concussion awareness and prevention
- Equipment review
**Please note that all concussion patients require referral from a physician to see the sports medicine physician as part of this program
Our physicians specialize in sports medicine and are certified with the Canadian Academy of Sport & Exercise Medicine (CASEM). They provide expert medical care for high performance athletes, recreational athletes and active individuals.
Our chiropractors utilize functional assessments to diagnose and determine the appropriate treatment plan and therapeutic methods. These techniques include Active Release Technique (ART), Athletic Movement Assessment (AMA), Diversified chiropractic Manipulation technique.
Our pedorthists are trained in assessing, casting, design and fitting of foot appliances (orthotics) and in fitting of footwear to reduce painful and debilitating conditions of the lower limbs and feet.
Our Dietitian and Sports Nutritionist helps to promote good nutrition habits that can help you maintain your energy levels, weight and muscle mass and can lower your risk of certain diseases.