Osteoarthritis Centre of Excellence
To help people achieve their exercise and lifestyle goals when faced with knee and hip osteoarthritis (OA), by using a multidisciplinary team of certified professionals to provide comprehensive, leading-edge, high quality and efficient medical care with an individualized and compassionate attitude.
How do I know if OACE can help me?
You will benefit from OACE if you:
- Have knee or hip osteoarthritis
- Are interested in a comprehensive approach to decrease your pain, and to improve your mobility/activities
- Wish to maximize treatment of your OA prior to considering surgery
What benefits will I get from using OACE?
- Review of your medical history, nutritional status and lifestyle in relation to your knee/hip OA
- Questionnaires to help determine what treatment would be best for you
- Access to leading-edge treatment options
- Opportunity for face-to-face discussions with qualified professionals who will discuss your particular situation and develop an individualized treatment action plan
- Learning ways to help yourself without medication such as exercise/strengthening programs
- Up-to-date educational material and resources
- Thorough follow-up from OACE professionals to better ensure success
Who will be treating me?
Sports Medicine Physician with special interest in OA treatment:
- Physician education focused on developing an individualized treatment plan
- Assessment including: review of medical history, physical examination, review of lifestyle and nutrition states in relation to OA
Depending on your individualized OA treatment, it may involve:
- A Registered Physiotherapist
- An Orthopedic Bracing Specialist
- A Dietician
- An Athletic Therapist
Please see your family physician who will ensure you do not have other forms of arthritis (other than OA). Your family physician can then refer you to OACE for an appointment.
No fee for physician assessment and physician education. Private insurance or benefits plans often cover other services or treatment options.
What OA services are available?
The following services will be offered based on your individual OA needs:
- Written and on-line educational resources
- One-on-one education and counseling
- Medication and supplement prescription
- Injections ( e.g., corticosteroid, viscosupplementation)
- Exercise counseling
- Strengthening program design
- Physiotherapy treatment
- Weight loss programming
- Nutritional advice
- OA unloader bracing
- Thorough follow-up to improve chances of success
How do I obtain further information about OACE?
You may contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 519-622-4529 (Cambridge)
Looking for Osteoarthristis Services that work?
Request An Appointment
Our physicians specialize in sports medicine and are certified with the Canadian Academy of Sport & Exercise Medicine (CASEM). They provide expert medical care for high performance athletes, recreational athletes and active individuals.
Our chiropractors utilize functional assessments to diagnose and determine the appropriate treatment plan and therapeutic methods. These techniques include Active Release Technique (ART), Athletic Movement Assessment (AMA), Diversified chiropractic Manipulation technique.
Our pedorthists are trained in assessing, casting, design and fitting of foot appliances (orthotics) and in fitting of footwear to reduce painful and debilitating conditions of the lower limbs and feet.
Our Dietitian and Sports Nutritionist helps to promote good nutrition habits that can help you maintain your energy levels, weight and muscle mass and can lower your risk of certain diseases.